Drawing the Landscape from Photos
Drawing the Landscape from Photos in Charcoal : Instructor Critiques for Full Participation Students will be uploaded for viewing approximately one week after each class.
Date : April 28, 2020 – June 30, 2020
Videos Uploaded: 12pm on Tuesday
Level : All Levels Welcome
This class will focus on drawing the landscape on archival papers using a variety of charcoal materials, with the ultimate goal to complete a finished portfolio or gallery piece. Topics covered include learning to pick quality photo reference that will make for a good drawing. Value control and organization. Edge manipulation as it relates to form and composition. And of course composition.
The Livestream Video Archive will be available for all livestream students until July 25th.
- Strathmore Drawing paper 400 series 18 x24 pad (recommended)
- Strathmore 400 series Cold press Bristol smooth, large individual sheets or pad (optional)
- Generals charcoal pencils hb, 2b,4b,6b
- various other charcoal pencils (optional)
- Vine or willow charcoal hard, medium and soft
- Generals compressed charcoal stick
- Charcoal powder and ¼ bristle brush
- Rubber Tip Brush (Optional)
- small sketchbook (Optional)
- charcoal sock (instructions how to make in 1st class)
- Kneaded eraser
- Blending stumps
- Eraser sticks small or med thickness
- Hard graphite pencil h or f (optional)
- low tack painters tape (optional)
Ben M. Young
Ben Young has studied and taught at Watts Atelier for the past 20 years. He has worked as a freelance illustrator and conceptual designer. Clients include Sony Entertainment, Reflexive Entertainment, Upper Deck and Blizzard.
Watch the Introduction Video :
Direct download links 8 GB :
CGArchives Is The Best