Oil Painting Tutorial
Oil Painting Tutorial – Winter Landscape : This landscape painting tutorial is jam packed with information – over 7 hours of content!
I am inspired by the surrounding landscape in my South Island home. There are such extreme seasonal changes here and it provides the artist with a unique opportunity to paint these variations in light and atmosphere.
This painting – “The Winter Landscape” contains an extreme depth dynamic provided by low-lying mist, simplifying the background. The subtle shifts in tones and hues from the sky to the mid-ground are a challenge to convey.
The background is contrasted against the sharpness of the crisp details in the monumental pine trees and the branches of the willow. Sheep graze in the foreground, searching for any morsels not touched by the frost, inviting the viewer into this quaint and gentle scene. Despite the fact that New Zealand is half the world away for most people, I believe this landscape has universal appeal.
In this Winter landscape painting tutorial, I break the entire process down into sections, and we’ll talk about many of my oil painting techniques for creating a realistic scene.
We start at the very beginning with the En Plein Air sketch – working from life painting in the outdoors. I will show you the tools I use when working outside, and some key strategies for success when painting En Plein Air.
You’ll witness the sketching of the scene onto a large canvas in the studio, creating a Grisaille before working up the image in paint. I start off loose and then build up my layers strategically before finally adding those intricate details.
Even though this painting took around 80 hours to complete; I have broken the process down into 3 major sections sharing with you the essential techniques in this landscape painting tutorial!
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- I WILL SHOW YOU THE MATERIALS I USE FOR CREATING AN OIL PAINTING, FROM THE PAINT AND MEDIUMS TO THE BRUSHES AND GROUNDS.
- YOU’LL SEE THE ENTIRE PAINTING PROCESS BROKEN DOWN IN EASY TO UNDERSTAND STEPS, FROM THE SKETCH TO BLOCKING IN AND EVEN APPLYING THE FINE DETAILS.
- YOU’LL SEE UP CLOSE HOW I USE BRUSHWORK TO DEFINE THE SUBJECT
- I WILL SHOW YOU MY PALETTE WHERE COLOUR MIXING PLAYS AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN CREATING REALISM!
- I USE MANY MEDIUMS IN MY PROCESS AND HERE I KEEP IT SIMPLE AND SHARE A TRIED AND TRUE APPLICATION
- THE PAINTING IS BUILT UP TO A RICH SURFACE BY LAYERING THE PAINT OVER MANY PASSES.
- I SHOW YOU HOW MODELLING WITH PAINT DEFINES FORM CREATING A 3D SCENE!
- I SHOW YOU HOW TO PAINT INCREDIBLE INTRICATE DETAIL IN TREES AND GRASS AND HOW TO ACHIEVE ELUSIVE EFFECTS LIKE MIST.
Direct download links 7.5 GB :
CGArchives Is The Best